Thursday, April 15, 2010

"Everyone's a nerd inside. I don't care how cool you are"



One of the most popular movie nerds is McLovin (Superbad). His fake ID form the movie is shown above. Nerds are such a popular stereotype that they even make movies about them (see left)




The title of this post was a quote from Channing Tatum. If you do not know who that is he was John in the hit movie "Dear John", and i find his words incredibly true. I think using the word nerd to describe a person is hypocritical. Like Channing said, we are all nerds on the inside. Everyone can relate to the term "nerd". People stereotype nerds as those people who get straight A's, who constantly do school work, and overall just do not fit in with others. They may seem a little weird and that is why we are all nerds on the inside. You can't tell me that you know a person who isn't the littlest bit weird. I know that I have never talked to a person who doesn't have a little "nerd" in them. Haha. You may just say that they are just weird, but in my eyes it is their "nerdiness" showing.


I personally think "nerd" is a hurtful label. Some may be proud to be called a nerd, and others might get their self-esteem crushed by this four letter word. You should really take into consideration what you are saying when you say someones a nerd. It could be taken as a compliment. You said (stereotypically) that they are smart. But as I said, some may take it the wrong way. All I ask for is that you think before you speak.


Nerds, in my opinion, are just people who others see as weird. But if you were considered a "nerd" then would you like people to make fun of you because you are just being yourself? Didn't think so. "Nerds" are just people who are comfortable being who they are.




"Nerd" Quotes


------------------------


"I'm the biggest nerd - I love comic books and stuff like that! I don't have any friends who are actresses. I only had one friend who was a girl growing up. Most of my friends were boys. I was such a tomboy. I enjoyed doing boy things." - Megan Fox


"One of the most frightening things about your true nerd, for many people, it's not that he is socially inept - because everybodies been there - but rather his complete lack of embarassment about it" - Neal Stephenson (author)


"I was a nerd academically. But I was also an athlete and musician. I never wanted to be shut out of any situation. I think it was that more than anything." - Brian McKnight (singer)





Like i have said in my previous posts, this blog is made to help people understand who the people are behind the stereotypes. They all have feelings. We shouldn't label others because of how they talk, dress, act, etc. We should all be more conscience about what we say to others.






Baby Its Fact - Hellogoodbye
The video below always comes to my mind when I think of a nerd. The singer portrays a nerd in love.


No comments:

Post a Comment