Tuesday, April 27, 2010

On a more serious note





This stereotype I feel the most seriously about. By calling someone emo you may be pushing them to their final limits and they say do something drastic. Emo can be a very harsh word.

"Emos". They are those people that when others see them they might be frightened at first. They are stereotyped as the ones who wear all black, heavy makeup, and hurt themselves. Really they are just confused with their emotions. They may be in a deep depression or they may just have mood swings. Being so sad that you become depressed.. just imagine how horrible that would feel. And on top of all of that you get called emo? No. Sometimes you just shouldn't cross the line like that.

The most common stereotype that goes along with "emo" is cutting. For anyone who doesn't know, cutting is a form of self-harm where you physically cut yourself. Basically if you cut, you are labeled as emo. I feel that it is unfair to be labeled for a bad decision you have made. Who hasn't made a questionable decision in their life before? I'm about 99.9% sure that everyone has. Would you like to be labeled for a mistake? Probably not.
While I'm on the topic of self-harm, if you or someone you know is cutting then the Suicide Hotline is a 24/7 number you can call and you can talk about what is going on. Everything is confidential and it is a good way to make sure you have someone to help you through tough times. It is not just for suicide but emotional crisis. The number will be at the end of this blog.

________________________

I wish I could make this blog less serious. I wish I could crack a joke right about now. I wish I could say something to lighten the mood. But I do not think it is right. I am not capable of being able to turn this subject into a joke. That is how strongly I feel. And anyone who knows me knows that I can turn anything into something a little less serious. Just bear with me until the end of this post.
________________________

So picture this. You have had the absolute worst day ever. Nothing went right and you just want to go home. You get home and yet another thing goes wrong (whatever would make you the saddest, just imagine that). You have some friends who have cut before and/or you have heard about it. Nothing else could possibly go wrong right? So you are sitting there crying and you just do it. Bad decision (reference to a couple paragraphs back).
Ok you can stop picturing this now. But how would you feel if someone called you emo after that? Pretty crappy. That is why I feel so strongly on thie topic. You can make a person go to their lowest low just by saying some stupid words to/about them. Anyone who says "I didn't mean it" or " They took it to seriously" should have thought about how what what said could make another person feel.


To wrap up this blog I would like to tell you about my favorite organization. To Write Love On Her Arms (TWLOHA). To Write Love On Her Arms is a nonprofit organization, or as most call it a movement, to help people sturggling with depression, addiction, self-injury and suicide. 2 out of every 3 people who are depressed do not seek help. TWLOHA was made to help those people. If you have ever seen a "love is the movement" shirt or logo, that is TWLOHA. To find out more go to the link below.

http://www.twloha.com/vision/

National Suicide Prevention Number - 1800-273- TALK (8255)

No comments:

Post a Comment