Friday, April 30, 2010

"I want to be popular!"




You're gonna be popular!
I'll teach you the proper ploys
When you talk to boys
Little ways to flirt and flounce
I'll show you what shoes to wear
How to fix your hair
Everything that really counts
To be popular
I'll help you be popular!
You'll hang with the right cohorts

You'll be good at sports
Know the slang you've got to know


So if you didn't guess this blogs on the popular people and the song lyrics up there are from Wicked's song Popular. Glinda (above) is the popular girl in her prep school. Now I know I already did a post on preps but I think preps and popular people are two different thing. Prep is more stereotyped as how you dress, talk, that stuff. Popular is too but popular people are the ones who everyone knows. But is that such a good thing? Sure you are considered "cool" but with being popular there seems to be some flaws.

1. Everyone talks about you, good and bad.
2. Everyone knows all the rumors about you and they judge you.
3. You will have haters. And they are waiting for you to mess up.

Maybe you look at the popular girl or guy and think "I wish I was them.." but why would you say this? Jealousy? Maybe. Your life isn't going how you want it to? Sure. But I think that is pretty stupid. If you are jealous then see my above three points. Another point I could add to jealousy is that everyone has flaws, everyone isn't always how they appear to be. The popular person may look so confident and perfect but are they?
If your life isn't going how you want it to, there is probably a 90% chance that theirs isn't either. Like I said, people aren't always how they seem. That person whose life looks perfect may be putting a fake smile on and holding back tears. And if you are really that upset by how your life's going then you should change it. You have control of your own life.
I guess the point of all that rambling up there was that being popular probably isn't all that it's cut out to be.
So after re-reading my three points up there I realized I kinda made popular people seem like bad people. I think I should correct myself. If they're are popular, there's a reason. They could be the nicest, funniest, most outgoing person. So if you just read my last sentence then go back to my three points, it doesn't make much sense. For example when I said everyone talks about you good or bad. That came off like the popular person is having people talk bad about them behind their back. Not true. I know many "popular" people in my school who are the most loveable people and I have never heard a bad thing about them. I just wanted to clarify that.

So I guess my point from this post was don't think that popular people have the perfect life. There is always something you don't know about a person.

No comments:

Post a Comment