Wednesday, April 28, 2010

"I can't. I have band."

"Band nerds". Personally I have a feeling I am going to have fun writing this post. I laugh whenever someone I know talks about band. It is like they go off into their own little world with their own language and everything. Honestly, I do not know the difference between a high G note and a B flat. And I have no idea if at a band competition getting a 1 is a good score. I learn something new about music every time I talk to someone in band though (if on the subject of band). I asked my friend in band if they liked being called a "band nerd" and she said "I see it as a compliment. It means I am good at what I play." I think that is a pretty good way to look at it!

(Oh and I do realize not everyone in band would appreciate being called a band nerd. They may take the term nerd offensively. If you are in band and you're reading this, please don't take the name band nerd offensively. I think it is a good thing.)







Well I have many friends in band and when I think about it, they must be some of the coolest people I know. Some may see them as those kids who are at school early because they had practice, the ones who get to skip a class to go to a lesson, nerds who aren't as nerdy as the "nerd nerds", and the ones who seem to hang around fellow band mates. (If you have read my other posts and you do not realize these are stereotypes then I think I will die inside a little.) I think that if you don't have a friend who is in band then you are missing out. They seem a little happier than the average person. They come off as dedicated and hard working, considering they are totally committed to their instrument. And once again, they seem happier than the average person. Maybe it is just me who sees this? Maybe not. But now I am rambling. All I'm saying is that people in band get stereotyped as losers. I think they're pretty dang cool.

I just want to mention that "band nerds" are pretty committed to what they do and I give them props. They go to practices all week, lessons, competitions, summer band, it is a lot of time.

I think "band nerds" are very talented. If you have ever seen a really big highschool or college marching band then you probably know what I am talking about. The video below is a great example. Seriously, how do you march around, make cool formations, and play an instrument at the same time!? And on top of that in front of lots of people. I think its crazy, and I personally could not do that. Maybe they don't go as extreme as the people in the video did below, but you get the point.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marching_band




















The video above really impressed me. Thought I should post it and see if you think it is as cool as me. But maybe I am just easily entertained.




The picture to the right is of my schools bands walking in a parade. I would like to give picture props to Shelby because I stole it from her pictures (:

No comments:

Post a Comment